The Aguiar Collection, Sonora and Sinaloa Imprints Collection, and Early Northwest Mexico Imprints Collection are displayed and searched together because of their inter-related nature.
Digital images were created from the microfilm version of this collection.
The collection consists mostly of decrees from the state governments of Occidente, Sinaloa, and Sonora, Mexico. There are some files of letters and memos covering other government business and all are covered under the dates 1825-1878. The documents were collected by Don Jesus José Aguiar, a treasury official in Cosalá. For a detailed description of the collection, see The Aguiar Collection in the Arizona Pioneers' Historical Society by Paul and Greta Ezell, San Diego State College Press, 1964.
This collection is related to the collections MS 917 (Sonora and Sinaloa Imprints) and MS 918 (Early Northwest Mexico Printing Collection). The collections were processed together in 1980, though the processor maintained the integrity of each collection so MS 916 contains series A-K, MS 917 contains series L-Q, and MS 918 contains series R.
After Mexico achieved independence from Spain in 1821, the nation faced the task of creating not only a national government, but also the divisions of individual states. Of these new states, Occidente was created to include those provinces of New Spain which had been known as Sinaloa and Sonora. This combination was made for administrative purposes, but internal conflicts, as well as problems of poor communication and a vast and difficult geography drove the two states apart.
The isolation of Sonora from the seat of government was too great and after initial opposition, the legislature of Occidente granted separate status to the two states. There was a gradual process of dissolution where Sinaloa had to create another new government. These documents demonstrate the mechanics of setting up a government; there are decrees dealing with the judicial system, the treasury, militia, etc.
4 boxes, 2 linear feet
All of the collection is in Spanish.
The collection was purchased by W.J. Holliday and donated to the Society in 1954.
Requests for permission to publish materials from this collection should be addressed to the Library/Archives Department, Arizona Historical Society.
The collection was originally processed by the Ezells in 1964 and was reprocessed and microfilmed in 1980. It is not known who processed the collection in 1980. This finding aid was completed by Riva Dean, Library/Archives Co-Manager.